Friday 7 November 2014

Wearing the Poppy

I thought you might llike to see my latest project - a poppy for Remembrance Day.

It is from Wendy Poole's' FREE pattern, and I made it using two strands of DMC red No 20 thickness cotton and a 3.00mm hook.  The leaf was something I already had, and I sewed it on at the back and then sewed a brooch fastening over it too.

Here it is...

Crochet poppy 2

...and I think it looks rather good!

I will still contribute to the British Legion as if I had bought one of their (rather cheap-looking) poppies, of course.

I think it's a shame that the current poppy in their range looks so mass-produced, though I guess that this is because it IS mass-produced - thus keeping the costs down.

I remember when the poppies in the tray were actually attractive and there was a variety of styles - even a big, blowsy one for your car radiator.

Such a shame that things have to be tackier the cheaper they are.

4 comments:

Elizabethd said...

I do agree. Maybe you should contact the British Legion...but then you would be overwhelmed with orders!

Wendy Bayford said...

That is really lovely! It certainly is a shame they don't sell better ones, I have managed to loose four so far this year as they never seem to stay on my jacket for more than a few days!

Wendy Bayford said...

That is really lovely! It certainly is a shame they don't sell better ones, I have managed to loose four so far this year as they never seem to stay on my jacket for more than a few days!

Sharon said...

Your poppy is very pretty Penny!
I've just come back from the UK and I saw the British Legion selling several different types of poppies in addition to the paper ones. There were enamel ones and big ones that looked more like real poppies. I bought a metal lapel pin one which is a 'special' to commemorate the 100 years anniversary as it has the years 1914-2014 on it in gold letters. It's really rather pretty and quite cheap at just £2.
Hugs Sharon in Spain x